about chris cohen the
Hello! I'm Chris. I'm a Portland, OR based full time professional beer educator. I'm also an attorney. I applied the techniques I used to pass difficult tests like the bar exam to passing the Cicerone® exams. I can help you crush the Cicerone exams, too! My beer education resume is deep:
- I founded Beer Scholar in 2014.
- I've taught hundreds of beer education classes in person & online.
- I'm one of just ~160 Advanced Cicerones® in the world. I took the second AC exam the program ever gave.
- I'm a National rank BJCP judge. I've judged dozens of comps including the prestigious Great American Beer Festival in Denver.
- I'm a former contributing beer writer for SeriousEats.com and the San Francisco Chronicle.
- I co-founded the SF Homebrewers Guild, in 2012.
- I co-founded Old Devil Moon. ODM was one of San Francisco's best beer bars from 2016 to 2022.
I'm all about excellent beer presented with the respect it deserves — never with gatekeeping or snobbery. I'm about inclusivity, having fun, and building community.